UPDATED January 14, 2019

There are a lot of legal issues involving drunk driving and car accidents. People may be hurt and suffer severe personal injuries in car accidents. Drunk drivers may face serious penalties for DUI/DWI and related tickets, or even criminal charges in Superior Court. A bar may be liable for injuries. Below we discuss a few tips about what to do right after a crash involving drunk driving in New Jersey.

I was hit by a drunk driver

If you were hit by a drunk driver, there are a few things that you need to remember. First, it is even more important to get the police involved as soon as possible. If you suspect that the person is intoxicated, tell the police officer. If you are hurt, tell the police that you are injured and need medical attention so that an ambulance can be called. Remember, your health and well being should be your first priority. If you see that the drunk driver is trying to leave, write down their license plate, do not try to chase them. If possible (and safe), try to find out where the person was drinking. A bar that serves a drunk patron may be liable for personal injuries. Also, it is important that you find out the names and contact information of any witnesses. We represent clients hurt by drunk drivers in Passaic County, Bergen County, Hudson County, Union County, Essex County, and surrounding areas.

If the drunk driver is charged with crime or given tickets, then you will probably receive court notices. You should be sure to attend court when the prosecutor asks you too.

I was drunk and got into an accident

The best way to avoid an accident if you are intoxicated is to refrain from driving after drinking. If you drink and drive and get into an accident, do not try to flee the scene. Chances are, a witness wrote down your license plate number, or you were caught on a traffic camera or security camera, or the person you hit is following you. Leaving the scene of an accident is very serious and if you do so it will make things much worse. Once stopped, there are certain things that you must do (like provide your license to the police) and other things that you do not have to do (like admit that you were too drunk to drive). Please see our article about what to do if you are stopped by police. Seek an attorney to protect your rights if charged with a crime or issued tickets. We represent clients in Superior Court and municipal courts in all areas surrounding our offices in Paterson.

If people are injured and/or there is property damage, you will need to cooperate with your insurance company. Assuming you have car insurance, your insurance company will defend you and pay for property damage and personal injuries that you are legally responsible for.

New Jersey Car Crashes – Free Consultation With Skilled Attorney

If you or someone you know was involved in a car accident with a drunk driver, please call us for a 100% free consultation with a skilled attorney. We have handled claims like these for decades and we are very experienced in protecting the rights of people injured in car accidents.

Based in Paterson, New Jersey, Raff & Raff, LLP services clients in the communities of Bloomingdale, Clifton, Haledon, Hawthorne, Little Falls, Passaic, Paterson, Pompton Lakes, Prospect Park, Ringwood, Totowa, Wanaque, Wayne, West Milford, Woodland Park, Allendale, Alpine, Bergenfield, Bogota, Carlstadt, Cliffside Park, Closter, Cresskill, Demarest, Dumont, East Rutherford, Edgewater, Elmwood Park, Emerson, Englewood, Fair Lawn, Fort Lee, Franklin Lakes, Garfield, Glenn Rock, Hackensack, Hasbrouck Heights, Haworth, Hillsdale, Ho-Ho-Kus, Leonia, Little Ferry, Lodi, Lyndhurst, Mahwah, Maywood, Midland Park, Montvale, Moonachie, New Milford, North Arlington, Northvale, Norwood, Oakland, Old Tappan, Oradell, Palisades Park, Paramus, Park Ridge, Ramsey, Ridgefield, Ridgewood, River Edge, River Vale, Rochelle Park, Rockleigh, Rutherford, Saddle Brook, Saddle River, Teaneck, Tenafly, Teterboro, Waldwick, Wallington, Westwood, Wood-Ridge, Woodcliff Lake, Wyckoff, Belleville, Bloomfield, Caldwell, Cedar Grove, Orange, Essex Fells, Fairfield, Glen Ridge, Irvington, Livingston, Maplewood, Millburn, Montclair, Newark, North Caldwell, Nutley, Roseland, Verona, Bayonne, Jersey City, Hoboken, Union City, West New York, Guttenberg, Secaucus, Kearney, Harrison, North Bergen, Weehawken, Elizabeth, Linden, Plainsfield, Rahway, Union, Scotch Plains, Clark, Cranford, Hillside, Westfield, Roselle, and surrounding areas.